Suzuki OEM Engine Guards - FAIL

Talk about or show off your custom modifications.
ds_ohio
Prospect

Suzuki OEM Engine Guards - FAIL

Postby ds_ohio » September 14th, 2012, 4:45 am

scary moment. my right suzuki OEM engine guard cracked and fell off yesterday. both tabs were cracked. i had footpegs mounted and was using them when it happened. what a scare at 75 mph. everyone here says they are almost worthless for pegs and having a 2009 with the giant air box only makes it worse to reach with the right foot. so it's not like i was jumping up and down on them. and i almost never use them for that reason. either the metal in the tabs was sub-standard, or the welding to the tube section weakened them. there's no way they would have survived any kind of an accident. ordered a cobra freeway bar last night. -ds_ohio
2009 Suzuki C50 Boulevard Special Edition Green/White

Doc
Site Admin

Re: Suzuki OEM Engine Guards - FAIL

Postby Doc » September 14th, 2012, 8:42 am

Wow.. first case I've heard of this happening. That sucks! The Cobra bars are definitely beefy and you shouldn't have a problem with them. On a side note, I used to hate the football air box too. I ended up buying a take-off from an M50 (teardrop style). It was a lot more comfortable and bolted right up.

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » September 14th, 2012, 1:24 pm

I'm just glad it didn't bounce up into your spokes or something when it came off, or hit someone else.

I put a lot of pressure on mine sometimes. I had heard they weren't all that good, but just falling off, that's a bit extreme. I guess it's probably worth it to give them a checking more often than I do. Plus, my bike is far from the never been wet crowd. The probability of rust probably doesn't help.

ds_ohio
Prospect

Postby ds_ohio » September 14th, 2012, 3:27 pm

I just uploaded a pic to my gallery of the top mounting tab for anyone interested. I've had a little exposure to metallurgy in my past, and upon close inspection, BOTH tabs cracked. the metal is brittle. they measure 3/16" thick FWIW. they aren't bent, they snapped. the lower mount cracked right across the edge of the bolt hole. All the bolts felt right when i removed them. the left guard looks fine. live and learn

:shock: hey elephant rider, i'm glad i didn't bounce up and hit something else, too, LOL.

-ds_ohio
2009 Suzuki C50 Boulevard Special Edition Green/White

teddybearfrmhell
Patched

Postby teddybearfrmhell » September 14th, 2012, 7:57 pm

+1 on the cobra bars.... of any other quality hiway bars over the oem caseguards. i got rid of my oems as soon as i realized that they were designed to allow the bags and the handle bars to protect the case guards LOL

put the cobras on my bike and havent had a regret since
Last edited by teddybearfrmhell on September 17th, 2012, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: I would like to appologize in advance, if anything i say makes you cry, it was not my intention to get your panties in a bunch.

JJW
Hang Around

Postby JJW » September 17th, 2012, 9:02 am

Wow!
Sad, no matter it Suzuki or who ever made them for Suzuki.

Silverfox
VOL Original

Postby Silverfox » September 18th, 2012, 7:48 pm

I've had cobra on my vol for 9 years.............since I got the ole girl...............

Jeff..................Just Ride..................Blessed

Return to “My Custom Mods”