Saddlemen extra jumbo slant bags...too big or just right?

Talk about or show off your custom modifications.
brandoguitarist
Hang Around

Saddlemen extra jumbo slant bags...too big or just right?

Postby brandoguitarist » April 10th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Title says it all. I'm looking at some Saddlemen bags, but I'm torn between Jumbo and Extra Jumbo.

For jumbos, I'm lookin at these:
http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.ph ... ts_id=5162

For extra jumbo, i'm lookin at these.
http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.ph ... ts_id=6448

My concern is that the extra jumbo is gonna look funky and stick out too far in the back. If I move em forward, they are gonna get in the way of the passenger pegs and make it uncomfortable for my wife.

Here is a site with some pics of a C50 (I ride a 2003 VL800) with both jumbo bags and extra jumbo bags. The jumbos look nice, but I have read about people selling them and getting extra jumbos so they had more room for stuff. On this site, I don't like the way the extra jumbo bags stick out the back...see the picture towards the bottom right of the page with the caption "nice!"...but they look okay in the pic to the left of that one. Here's the link:

http://www.bikerbits.com.au/adventures/ ... _new.shtml

Here is a forum with pics of a VL800 with extra jumbo bags...they don't stick out in the back, but look how far forward they are and how they crowd the passenger pegs.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums ... 00-477791/

Soooo......

Anyone have saddlemen bags on their Vol or C50? Recommendations, suggestions, warnings, good reviews, bad reviews? I will say that I want bags that look good on the bike, but I don't want to be too limited on what I can carry just because I'm on a bike.

Thanks! If you have pics, that would be awesome!

Da-Mack
Patched

Re: Saddlemen extra jumbo slant bags...too big or just right

Postby Da-Mack » April 10th, 2012, 6:35 pm

I've got Saddleman bags on my 2002 Volusia. I can't remember what size they are, I just know that they are bigger than the OEM bags I replaced. I can cram my lunch box, rain gear, bike cover and the wife's Vera Bradly designer purse (aka...bottomless pit!) in them, no problem.

Go check out my photos in my gallery to see them on the bike.
"I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals"
Lead an extraordinary life.
2002 Volusia...Red/Black...the red bikes are the fastest!
1975 Yamaha XS500

brandoguitarist
Hang Around

Postby brandoguitarist » April 10th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Da-Mack wrote:I've got Saddleman bags on my 2002 Volusia. I can't remember what size they are, I just know that they are bigger than the OEM bags I replaced. I can cram my lunch box, rain gear, bike cover and the wife's Vera Bradly designer purse (aka...bottomless pit!) in them, no problem.

Go check out my photos in my gallery to see them on the bike.

yeah, I like em...I'm pretty sure those are the jumbo size...about 17 in long. The extra jumbos are 22 in long.

I was set on the extra jumbo, but i'm starting to think the jumbo will do just fine and look better on the bike. I need to get some shots of me and the bike and upgrade my gallery.

MrGrimm
Prospect

Postby MrGrimm » April 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm

I had the extra jumbo on my bike, just went up to the extra extra jumbo. they're HUGE! but they don't get in the way of my passenger boards, and they don't extend back past the fender. The extra jumbo looks really good on the c50 imho. My buddy just put a set of jumbo bags on his roadstar and to me they look really small. I ran the extra jumbo for two years and loved them, I could fit a 12 pack in each bag.

I think you'll like the x jumbos. I did, but I like big bags.
I love me some gourmet home-cooked liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

brandoguitarist
Hang Around

Postby brandoguitarist » April 11th, 2012, 9:22 pm

MrGrimm wrote:I had the extra jumbo on my bike, just went up to the extra extra jumbo. they're HUGE! but they don't get in the way of my passenger boards, and they don't extend back past the fender. The extra jumbo looks really good on the c50 imho. My buddy just put a set of jumbo bags on his roadstar and to me they look really small. I ran the extra jumbo for two years and loved them, I could fit a 12 pack in each bag.

I think you'll like the x jumbos. I did, but I like big bags.

sweet...I am still torn...but i keep coming back to x jumbo. I'm going to the ROT rally in Austin in June and my wife and I both have a tendency to overpack. wanna make sure we got enough room.

Thanks for the comments

MrGrimm
Prospect

Postby MrGrimm » April 12th, 2012, 12:23 am

Saddlemen also makes this, I'm drooling over it for next year. I like to camp from the bike. This, with the new bags will be perfect.

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.ph ... ts_id=7265
I love me some gourmet home-cooked liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

brandoguitarist
Hang Around

Postby brandoguitarist » April 12th, 2012, 11:07 am

MrGrimm wrote:Saddlemen also makes this, I'm drooling over it for next year. I like to camp from the bike. This, with the new bags will be perfect.

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.ph ... ts_id=7265

I almost got this too for the Rally, they make a bigger one as well I think thats 22" tall and 3500 cubic inches, I think its EX3500S...but on my budget this is not much more than a cool-looking glorified duffle bag. Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking it, i like it a lot!. I'm gonna go with the duffle bag strapped to the back for this trip lol. Maybe next year i'll get this after I get some new pipes, new radiator cover, new neck cover, new air cleaner cover, new mirrors, new paint job, new...well, you get the idea. I never realized just how many accessories there are for a bike until I owned one!

I wish I could find some store in Houston that carried these bags so I could see them in person and actually hold them up to the bike and see how they look. I found a couple stores in Houston that carry lots of bags...nice expensive leather bags, but none of them were plastic lined to hold form, and most of them were already caved in right there in the store. They told me "those are some of the highest quality bags you can get" and I said "yeah, and look...they are already caved in on the sides!"

Think I'm about settled on the x-jumbo bags unless someone can convince me otherwise. still wish I could find some in person somewhere.

MrGrimm
Prospect

Postby MrGrimm » April 12th, 2012, 11:57 am

Here's my ride with the x jumbo bags

brandoguitarist
Hang Around

Postby brandoguitarist » April 12th, 2012, 12:35 pm

MrGrimm wrote:Here's my ride with the x jumbo bags

hmmmm......damn. Great looking ride, but now I'm thinking they look a tiny bit big for my taste. I just need to make a freakin' decision already!

Thanks for all the input and pics.

MrGrimm
Prospect

Postby MrGrimm » April 12th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Thanks... I'll see if I can get a pic of my buddy's bike this weekend.

Return to “My Custom Mods”