LED turn signal replacement help

Talk about or show off your custom modifications.
brandoguitarist
Hang Around

LED turn signal replacement help

Postby brandoguitarist » April 3rd, 2012, 9:15 am

Hey guys, when I got my 2003 VL800 in December, the previous owner had replaced the stock rear turn signals with some teeeeeeeeeeny tiny ones. They are regular bulbs (not LED) and those who have rode with me tell me they are not visible at all in the day, very little at night, so I'm looking to go with some LED's.

1. Can someone speak to the necessity of getting a load EQ or load resistor or something like that? Is that necessary? Seems like I'm reading that the LED's are gonna blink really fast if I don't get one.

2. I admit I haven't taken the housing off yet to see whats going on in there, but are there 2 wires or 3 wires? I have read conflicting reports in some of the reviews for some of the lights I've been looking at.

3. Here are the three I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRUISER-CHROME- ... 836wt_1304

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Indica ... sbs_auto_6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GW ... =&v=glance

The last link, the bullet style ones, I really like, but I'm confused by the two screw mounting method. These are the only ones I have seen like that. I'm pretty sure my current ones have the one bolt with the wires coming out of the middle of it. Will these mount to my VL800?

I realize I need to take the housing off and take a look myself, but I just wanted to post and see what kind of advice or tips I could get.

Last, does anyone recommend any other sites besides ebay and amazon where I can find some cool lights (affordable lights)?

Thanks!

MrGrimm
Prospect

Re: LED turn signal replacement help

Postby MrGrimm » April 4th, 2012, 4:31 am

I have the lights in the second link you posted. If you're doing the rear only then those will work fine. The rear lights are two wire. The diameter isn't as big as the housing on the old lights. I painted the inner bracket chrome, looks good. The LED lights do blink faster but not tweaker fast if you leave the regular signals in the front.
I cut the harness from the old lights and wired it up and plugged it in. one thing I suggest is filing the hollow bolt with silicone and carefully sealing the lenses with silicone (they aren't waterproof) .

They're plenty bright during the day and the housing is actually chromed metal, not plastic.
I love me some gourmet home-cooked liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

brandoguitarist
Hang Around

Postby brandoguitarist » April 4th, 2012, 11:01 am

Thanks a bunch...I've looked at literally hundreds of lights and am considering about a dozen or so, but i keep coming back to those. I think I'll get em.

Thanks again.

MrGrimm
Prospect

Postby MrGrimm » April 4th, 2012, 4:06 pm

brandoguitarist wrote:Thanks a bunch...I've looked at literally hundreds of lights and am considering about a dozen or so, but i keep coming back to those. I think I'll get em.

Thanks again.

Anytime
I love me some gourmet home-cooked liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Dennis
Dikkhead

Postby Dennis » April 4th, 2012, 4:40 pm

The reason they will blink fast is the same reason when you have a turn signal on your car or bike blow out, they begin to blink fast. There is a resistance change in the circuit making the flasher blink double time to let you know. Installing the LEDs reduce the resistance causing the flasher to blink fast. The load equalizer adds back that lost resistance.

MrGrimm
Prospect

Postby MrGrimm » April 4th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Dennis wrote:The reason they will blink fast is the same reason when you have a turn signal on your car or bike blow out, they begin to blink fast. There is a resistance change in the circuit making the flasher blink double time to let you know. Installing the LEDs reduce the resistance causing the flasher to blink fast. The load equalizer adds back that lost resistance.

yeah, I ordered a couple of heat sink resistors that I was going to wire in with the new lights but tried then without them and they were just fine, they're not fast enough to cause seizures or anything. Just a little faster than normal. Leaving the stock lights up front helped to level the load out. Ymmv.

Grimm

Ardhonu
Hang Around

Postby Ardhonu » November 21st, 2012, 10:51 am

brandoguitarist wrote:Hey guys, when I got my 2003 VL800 in December, the previous owner had replaced the stock rear turn signals with some teeeeeeeeeeny tiny ones. They are regular bulbs (not nice led lights) and those who have rode with me tell me they are not visible at all in the day, very little at night, so I'm looking to go with some LED's.

1. Can someone speak to the necessity of getting a load EQ or load resistor or something like that? Is that necessary? Seems like I'm reading that the LED's are gonna blink really fast if I don't get one.

2. I admit I haven't taken the housing off yet to see whats going on in there, but are there 2 wires or 3 wires? I have read conflicting reports in some of the reviews for some of the lights I've been looking at.

3. Here are the three I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRUISER-CHROME- ... 836wt_1304

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Indica ... sbs_auto_6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GW ... =&v=glance

The last link, the bullet style ones, I really like, but I'm confused by the two screw mounting method. These are the only ones I have seen like that. I'm pretty sure my current ones have the one bolt with the wires coming out of the middle of it. Will these mount to my VL800?

I realize I need to take the housing off and take a look myself, but I just wanted to post and see what kind of advice or tips I could get.

Last, does anyone recommend any other sites besides ebay and amazon where I can find some cool lights (affordable lights)?

Thanks!

I do have same lights as mentioned by you. But I actually employed mechanic to fit them so I will ask him about your queries
Last edited by Ardhonu on November 22nd, 2012, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

v0lusia
VOL Original

Postby v0lusia » November 21st, 2012, 5:26 pm

This may help.......
Almost any turn signal will work. On the front they are 3 wire signals (ground, running, turn) on the back they are 2 wire (turn and ground). They use different bulbs (1157 front, 1156 rear)

Here is some other helpful info
Some are small and likely not DOT approved so if your state has "tight" inspections they may not pass.

There are multiple types of turn signals/running lights some can only be used for one function (turn OR running) others can be used for both functions.

1 wire - one function only - running light OR turn signal
Connections:

Connect the one wire to the brown wire on the bike for running light, the light green for Right turn, Black for left turn
The negative (ground) is made through the mounting bolt, these lights won't work until you connect the bolt to a metal part on the bike.

2 wire - one function only - running light OR turn signal
Connections:

Connect the positive wire on the signal to the brown wire on the bike for running light, the light green for right turn, black for left turn.
Connect the negative wire on the signal to the black wire with white stripe

2 wire - two function - running light AND turn signal
Connections:

Connect one of the positive wires on the signal to the brown wire on the bike for running light
Connect the other positive wire on the signal to the light green on the bike for right turn, black for left turn.
The negative (ground) is made through the mounting bolt, these lights won't work until you connect the bolt a metal part on the bike.
If when you test the running light is brighter than the turn signal swap the two positive wires

3 wire - two function - running light AND turn signal
Connections:

Connect one of the positive wires on the signal to the brown wire on the bike for running light
Connect the other positive wire on the signal to the light green for Right turn, Black for left turn.
Connect the negative wire to the black with white stripe on the bike.
If when you test the running light is brighter than the turn signal swap the two positive wires

The wires to the front signals are in the headlight
Headlight Bucket colors
Ground - Black with White stripe (multiple)
Light Green - Right turn signal
Black - Left Turn Signal
Gray - Running lights
Yellow - High Beam
White - Low Beam
Orange/Blue - Aux Power (light bar connector, seperate 10 amp fuse)

The rear signals are under the taillight
Brown (becomes gray at the tail light)---running light
Black with White stripe---ground
Black---left turn
Light Green---right turn
White Wire with Black stripe---brake light

In the headlight bucket there is
Orange-with-green is (+) and black-with-white is (-) with a white (usually) connector on the end. These are for wiring up the lightbar. They are on when the key is on. They are protected by a 10amp fuse.
Black with a white stripe is ground (-) thoughout the bike
-Metal monsters that let us breathe. Let us smell. Keep us from being numb. - Zookoff
-Twisties give me happy pants
-
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Return to “My Custom Mods”