Gas light coming on

Having problems with your ride? Ask here.
hayj
Hang Around

Gas light coming on

Postby hayj » September 8th, 2013, 10:31 am

I have a Suzuki Bouevard c50 2005 Love the bike small problem When my bike hits around 80 to 85 miles on the speedo the yellow light comes on ig I go to the gas station and fill it up it only takes around 2 gallon of gas witch means that I still should have at least 2 gallons left. Any body have an idea why the yellow gas light comes on so soon.

Ratboy859
Prospect

Re: Gas light coming on

Postby Ratboy859 » September 8th, 2013, 5:20 pm

I'm a little perplexed.....

When my bike hits around 80 to 85 miles on the speedo the yellow light comes on ig I go to the gas station and fill it up it only takes around 2 gallon of gas witch means that I still should have at least 2 gallons left. Any body have an idea why the yellow gas light comes on so soon.

Where is the yellow (amber) light specifically at on the dashboard? Are you sure it's yellow and not red? Is the light under the FI (Fuel Injection) warning label? It is under the oil pressure/coolant temp warning label?

I've never read about a yellow light coming on about fuel. I could be wrong....I'm worried about a more serious problem at long runs at 85 mph - oil pressure and/or coolant temperature.

Do you have the owner's manual for your 2005?

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Postby Luvs2Play » September 8th, 2013, 9:02 pm

It shouldn't come on until there is just a gallon left. I always figured I had 40 miles left before I needed to worry once the light came on. It could be that something is stuck in the tank if maybe it was left empty, or close to empty for a long time.

hayj
Hang Around

Postby hayj » September 9th, 2013, 7:23 am

Sorry maybe need to be a little more clear the yellow light comes on when the millage hits 80 to 85 not the speed and it is the light under the fuel sign

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » September 12th, 2013, 3:38 pm

hayj wrote:Sorry maybe need to be a little more clear the yellow light comes on when the millage hits 80 to 85 not the speed and it is the light under the fuel sign

Ok, I understand now, model years 2005 and 2006 did not have a fuel gauge, but only a low fuel light. So, you've got a calibration problem with the low fuel light. I didn't know that the fuel gauge was removed for those two model years. Very interesting.

Let me do some research, via some shop manuals......... 8-)

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » September 12th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Ok, here is my thought process....you didn't buy the bike new and the owner didn't tell you about the Low Fuel Light. The gas tank holds 4.1 (or 4.5 gallons, depending on the fine print in the book).

Your model didn't come with a fuel gauge because it was the first year of Fuel Injection and Suzuki didn't have enough room in their engineering department to provide a fuel gauge and Fuel Injection.

You've got one of two things going on. Either the float in the fuel tank is bent in the wrong direction....or....the resistor in the fuel tank gauge is going bad. The measurement is 4 to 10 ohms (full reading) and about 90 to 100 ohms (empty reading).

You could use your trip indicator and just average your fuel trip for about 140 miles for each tank and then ignore the light. I don't know how bright the light is - but it would drive my OCD crazy. You could always just disconnect the light.

I don't like buying parts just to guess at a fix. However, you could fill the tank and measure the resistance of the fuel gauge. There is a plug in for the wiring harness just for the gauge. Drive some and measure more. And the do same all the way to nearly empty. It would help you get some more information.

Or........you could take the tank off, remove the fuel gauge sending unit (buy another 0 ring gasket) and do some trouble shooting that way.

More questions are: are you handy with tools, multi-meters and the such? Let me know what you think or want to do. Good Luck!

hayj
Hang Around

Postby hayj » September 13th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Do you think replacing the pump will help

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » September 13th, 2013, 3:52 pm

hayj wrote:Do you think replacing the pump will help

The fuel pump and the fuel gauge float are independent of each other. Replacing the pump will not fix the low fuel light. The Shop Manual (with the wiring diagrams) and the Parts Manual show the pump and the fuel gauge float as two separate systems.

DON'T QUOTE ME - SUGGESTION ONLY:

If you have a 2005 (TK5 Series VL800), then I am assuming that the following parts could work:

34810-41F00 (Float in the Fuel Tank) about $75.00
34825-31F00 (Float O-Ring Gasket) about $3.03

If you wanted to replace the fuel pump:
15100-41F00 (Fuel Pump) about $90.03

I don't know if you can convert your speedometer fuel gauge to the 2007 speedometer/fuel indicator. It's something to consider - - however, a new speedometer/fuel indicator is about $380.00 - - that's a lesson I don't know if you want to buy without some research.

End of Quote

Again, I would suggest that you remove the empty (or nearly empty) fuel tank off the bike. Buy a $3.00 O-ring gasket and remove the fuel tank float and test it on the bench by moving the float up and down. I've provided the resistance measurements from empty to full. I've also offered that you could take random resistance measurements off of the float while riding a bit (about 50 miles) and measure the resistance.

It's my nature not to just randomly buy parts. Trouble shooting will help determine what has failed or no longer working within specifications. If you decide to buy parts - double check with your dealer or local web site about the part numbers I provided. It's an old manual and things do change.

Keep me posted.

hayj
Hang Around

Postby hayj » September 20th, 2013, 7:04 am

Thanks so much for your help you are fantastic so glad I joined this group

Return to “I Need HELP!”