Turn Signal Wires

Having problems with your ride? Ask here.
BottleCap
Prospect

Turn Signal Wires

Postby BottleCap » July 2nd, 2013, 7:16 pm

I found some "clearance indicator" lights that I'd like to use as rear turn signals. They only have one wire. The actual turn signals I have now have two wires.

Do they have to have two wires to blink? Can I add a second wire?
Driving a 2005 C50 enginecycle.

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Re: Turn Signal Wires

Postby Luvs2Play » July 2nd, 2013, 7:25 pm

One wire is ground, the other wire is a hot wire. The signals themselves are shielded from ground because they are mounted on rubber instead of the frame. If the new lights were solid mounted to the frame, you could use just the hot wire for the lights. I don't know the colors, but a guess would be green and black. The black would be the ground wire if I was a betting man.

BottleCap
Prospect

Postby BottleCap » July 2nd, 2013, 8:18 pm

The proper signals have black and red. The ones I want to use only have one black wire. It looks like ground is achieved by this little metal ring that one of the screws goes in. To handle that on a plastic fender, I was thinking of screwing it into a piece of exhaust hanger, bending that under the lip of the fender and attaching it to the metal framework there. The way I want to put them on, it hardly be seen. You'd have to lay down to see the hanger strip.
Driving a 2005 C50 enginecycle.

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Postby Luvs2Play » July 3rd, 2013, 5:01 am

I'll bet you are right, what you can do is hook the black wire to the positive post and just touch the light frame to the neg and it should light up. If that works, you should be able to splice the red to the black of the new light, and if you have to, run a wire from the screw to the frame somewhere to complete the circuit. It will only flash when the power is given to it by the turn signal flasher.

Return to “I Need HELP!”