Body shop help

Having problems with your ride? Ask here.
dcharbison
Hang Around

Body shop help

Postby dcharbison » June 3rd, 2013, 7:16 am

I recently had a break down and called my roadside assistance number. Commercial tow company showed up with a condor front wheel dolly and did a fair enough job strapping the front end down. However while I was on the phone with the repair facility the not so knowledgeable driver decided that the best way to strap the back down was to place a 3" heavily used, damaged and greased strap between the seats directly on the rear fender. Luckily did not crack the fender however did leave some very nasty scratches and gouges in the paint. I have tried without any luck to take it to some local body shops and they won't touch it. I went to the dealer and another motorcycle shop and they had no good suggestions either. Does anyone know of someone in the Central New York area (near Syracuse) that does motorcycle body work?

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Re: Body shop help

Postby Elephant Rider » June 4th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Ouch. Unfortunately I can not help you, but I think I'll remember that story and strap my bike down myself if I ever have a need to get it towed.

Another bit from people who should know better... When I bought my first bike, I had never really ridden before so I loaded it up on a trailer. One of the guys at the shop helped me strap it down. Unfortunately the place he decided to strap the front right handlebar was not good. About 100 miles down the road the bike shifted in the trailer. When I was fixing it, I noticed that strap was putting a lot of pressure on the brake line. Nice. Fixed it and got it strapped down better than the guy who does it for a living. I think the moral of both our stories is learn how to do it right and never let someone else strap your bike down.

And I hope you get your fender fixed up. If it's gonna take much paint, I think I would probably take off the fenders, the tank, and whatever other couple pieces have paint on them and just get it all custom painted. It's usually cheaper when you do that part of the labor yourself. The other thing is to look for places that specialize in painting motorcycles or some kind of custom car place. Hot rod places, I would think, will probably hook you up.

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » June 5th, 2013, 9:30 am

And a little tip.. never strap down the front so tight that you compress the down-tubes too much. It will damage the seals and your forks will leak. Luckily, I've never done this, but I can see how someone who doesn't know better would want to crank down on the bars to keep their baby from falling off a trailer and do this by accident.

dcharbison
Hang Around

Postby dcharbison » July 7th, 2013, 8:48 am

Thanks guys and great advice. Have found a custom shop that is really looking for some winter work so they will get a project and I will save a little bit of my hard earned $$$. Ride safe and race the rain!

Return to “I Need HELP!”