Engine Knock

Having problems with your ride? Ask here.
1kyfool
Hang Around

Engine Knock

Postby 1kyfool » June 8th, 2014, 3:41 pm

I recently had a major problem on my 05 C50 with 34K. I was riding down the road at 65mph when the engine suddenly lost power then came right back up to speed. I thought that was certainly weird and at my next stop about 10 minutes later I had a loud engine knock. Not a pre-ignition knock, I'm talking about a rod bearing or crank bearing knock. I immediately shut it down, checked the oil which was a little low but not overly so and then trailered it back home. I'm in the process of pulling the engine and have been reading about people with similar problems. The general advice is to find a used engine since that makes more sense from a cost standpoint since a crank kit is about $1000. I've been looking but without much success at finding one for an 05 which is fuel injected. I have located some for earlier carb'ed models and wonder if one of these might work if I change the intake. I am puzzled if some of the sensors etc. for the original motor can be transferred over to the replacement so as to make it work.

Any assistance is appreciated in advance.

Fletch
Patched

Re: Engine Knock

Postby Fletch » June 8th, 2014, 5:39 pm

You would have to change your wiring harness since the wires are also different. There is a video on youtube of a knock with a bad cam chain, that could be it also. Not as bad a fix as a rod or anything. I will see if I can find it.

Here ya go....

Suzuki Boulevard C50 Camchain rebuild - YouTube
► 2:30► 2:30
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUZVzzk0-o
Nov 14, 2013 - Uploaded by FirstGear2007
Well, after a lot of research, beer and convincing the missus, I bit the bullet and decided to ...

1kyfool
Hang Around

Postby 1kyfool » June 9th, 2014, 11:46 am

Thanks for the reply Fletch. I thought about the timing chain but the knock seems to be coming from lower down in the crankcase. I'm pulling the engine this week and will check the timing chain out first and I hope its that simple.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » June 9th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Good luck, hope it turns out to be something simple and cheap to fix.

1kyfool
Hang Around

Postby 1kyfool » June 10th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Hey Fletch, when you say I need to change the wiring do you mean on the bike or on the replacement motor?

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » June 10th, 2014, 3:55 pm

The bike, the wiring harness is completely different for carbed vs fuel injection. Someone had a carbed wiring harness for sale on another site for $400 a while back. Think it had one broken plug on it that went under the speedo cover though.
I would try and find a FI engine if possible, would be an easier swap.

1kyfool
Hang Around

Postby 1kyfool » June 12th, 2014, 11:52 am

Thanks Fletch. I was afraid you were going to say that. I've been looking for an FI engine without success for about 6 weeks now. If you see one anywhere then please let me know.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » June 12th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Keep an eye in eBay. If you are on Facebook join the volusiariders page and also post there.

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » June 16th, 2014, 10:24 am

Also, keep an eye on ridesafely.com and crashedtoys.com Both are auction/salvage sites. If you happen to live close by, you might get a really good deal.

Jet
Hang Around

Postby Jet » February 2nd, 2015, 6:38 pm

So what ever happened with your bike?

Return to “I Need HELP!”