Checked out a 2014 Harley today

Want to talk about motorcycles that you own that aren't a C50 or a Volusia? Here's the spot for that.
Doc
Site Admin

Checked out a 2014 Harley today

Postby Doc » August 26th, 2013, 9:22 am

A Street Glide to be specific, and I was quite impressed with the changes they made.

The top items I noticed

• Added a vent in the fairing. About time!
  • Redesigned hand controls. I like the mini joysticks
  • New radio (infotainment) system. Bluetooth finally!!
  • USB and iPhone/iPod plug with storage compartment beside the radio. They did away with the CD player, but I never used it, so no loss.
  • Redesigned saddlebags. New shape and size, and FINALLY, a new opening mechanism. They operate much better
  • New airbox design. Not sure that I like it, but it supposedly gives you more leg room.
  • Hydraulic clutch.
  • Linked brakes above a certain speed. I became a fan of the ABS the first time I really needed to use them. Before that, not so much. Linked brakes are a good thing in my opinion.

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Re: Checked out a 2014 Harley today

Postby Luvs2Play » August 26th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Well looky there, HD has officially entered the 1990's! Watch out, there is some water cooling going on now too!

They are really nice looking bikes! If they were just affordable to the working stiffs like me. I know, they'll finance anyone with a pulse, but that is why there are so many repos out there.

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » August 26th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Hey Doc!

They wouldn't let you take a spin on it? As for the CD Player, I was reading an article about cars/trucks and the CD player is going to be a thing of the past rather quickly (like the 8-track tape player and the cassette players). Now-a-days, people are putting all their music on their iPods and phones - no reason for CDs. It saves weight and also allows the engineers to take that 1/2 inch space and use it for something else.

I like the idea of ABS and linked braking systems. Obviously, I don't have them on the C50, but anything to make the ride a little bit safer can't be a bad thing.

So..........how serious are you about not just looking, but maybe buying?

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » August 26th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Luvs2Play wrote:Watch out, there is some water cooling going on now too!

What What?

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » August 27th, 2013, 7:48 am

Elephant Rider wrote:

What What?

Yup.. on some select touring models, there is some liquid cooling. Not a complete traditional water jacket. The radiators are in the leg fairings. It's only on the CVOs and Limited models. There weren't any of those on the showroom floor when I was there.

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » September 1st, 2013, 12:24 pm

Hydraulic clutch is great, but watch out for heat. I've lost my clutch too many times to count while stuck in traffic because of the heat my 110" generates. First time it happened I was in the left lane pinned up against the center divider on the Belt parkway in NYC and had no clue what happened. Once I learned what caused it, I now try to pull off to the shoulder when I can to let the bike cool. I don't see the hydraulic clutch as a plus.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07
'08 FLHTCUSE3 - Sept 07 - Oct 13
'14 Indian Chieftain - Oct 13 - ??

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » September 1st, 2013, 6:16 pm

Doc wrote:
Elephant Rider wrote:

What What?

Yup.. on some select touring models, there is some liquid cooling. Not a complete traditional water jacket. The radiators are in the leg fairings. It's only on the CVOs and Limited models. There weren't any of those on the showroom floor when I was there.

I don't really understand why they really just seem to refuse to go fully water cooled. It's one of the things that makes a difference to me. Where I live, it's over 100 most of the summer. I'll take all the cooling on the engine I can get. But I've known people with over 200K on a Harley engine, so I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Except for when your clutch is overheating in heavy traffic...

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » September 1st, 2013, 6:42 pm

Elephant Rider wrote:
Doc wrote:
Elephant Rider wrote:

What What?

I don't really understand why they really just seem to refuse to go fully water cooled. It's one of the things that makes a difference to me. Where I live, it's over 100 most of the summer. I'll take all the cooling on the engine I can get. But I've known people with over 200K on a Harley engine, so I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Except for when your clutch is overheating in heavy traffic...

Problem comes in the cubic inch wars and HD crowd refusing to part with the air/oil cooled V-twin. Indian really threw down the gauntlet with the introduction of a air/oil cooled 111". Without a major redesign the Twin Cam just isn't going to allow them to adequately compete in the growing size of engines vs. the EPA. 103" is about as big as they can reliably go for the masses. The 110" has always had heat problems. Hopefully the new "Steamin' Eagle" engines can take them into the future, but no clue what they are going to do on bikes without lowers.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07
'08 FLHTCUSE3 - Sept 07 - Oct 13
'14 Indian Chieftain - Oct 13 - ??

Return to “Other Brands”