I'm thinking HD Electra Glide

Want to talk about motorcycles that you own that aren't a C50 or a Volusia? Here's the spot for that.
Da-Mack
Patched

Postby Da-Mack » February 17th, 2012, 11:52 am

The wife and I went to the IMS motorcycle show in Chicago last weekend. My goal was to try on some big bikes. We are looking for a longer rang "trip" bike. The wife insists on a road couch type back seat.

So I got on the Triumph Rocket III. OMG it was like getting on a pregnant horse! That was a really fat bike!

I was down to a Kawasaki Voyager and the Electra Glide. The Voyage has a funky seat that seamed to grab me in all the wrong places. When we got to the HD area, I climbed aboard a black & Silver 2012 Electra Glide. It was real comfy. I conviced the wife to hop on the back and throw her butt into the seat. her reply was "yea, I could ride for hours back here". Enough said. I found a 2011 black and silver with 7K miles for $19,900 not too far away from us. I'm hoping to get it in a few months when I get a car paid off and we get the closing on our house refinance.

So, any one got any info/advice/feedback on the Electra Glide?
"I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals"
Lead an extraordinary life.
2002 Volusia...Red/Black...the red bikes are the fastest!
1975 Yamaha XS500

Cobra
VOL Original

Re: I'm thinking HD Electra Glide

Postby Cobra » February 17th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Its a nice bike.

Did you look at the Victory Cross Country... with the trunk back seat option.... List for the loaded Victory is 21 and starts at 18k.....

I know I am into my 2012 Crossroads for under 15.

Another nice lookijng scoot is the new Kawasaki Venture.....

Good luck

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » February 17th, 2012, 3:43 pm

The Venture is tha kick ass Kawasaki no doubt!

Coilguy
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » February 17th, 2012, 4:05 pm

There's not a huge difference in HD's cruiser style bikes (Street Glide, Electra Glide, etc...). My Street Glide is basically an Electra Glide without the lower fairing and trunk. There are some other differences, but not much. These bikes run great on the highway. 6th gear on the interstate, and you feel like you're barely rolling along at 70 mph. Gas mileage is surprisingly good as well with averages from 43 - 50 mpg. Besides the comfort, what I really love about mine in the handling. They are surprisingly nimble. Maybe that's because my last bike was a Royal Star Tour Deluxe which kind of felt heavy and awkward at slow speed to me.

What irks me about my bike?

The brushed aluminum wheels. They stain and get dirty way to easily. I'm considering doing a swap for chromed ones. I'm not insane about keeping my bike super clean like some folks, but I would like to be able to wash the wheels easily without having to spend hours on them.

Everything else about the bike is simply awesome. Their jiffy stand that locks the transmission when down is handy when parking in funky situations, and the set up they have for removable items like saddle bags and tour paks are very well executed. Do all the maintenance yourself and you can save a ton of money. HD dealers are everywhere, so it's really convenient in case you get stuck somewhere, but they're not cheap by any means.

Da-Mack
Patched

Postby Da-Mack » February 17th, 2012, 8:08 pm

No doubt the Victory Touring bikes are easy to ride but for me, they look like they should be on the Jetson's cartoon. I like the old school look.

I havent seen the Venture yet.

Thanks for the info on the bikes. I'm trying to talk the wife into us running down to Kokomo, IN and we'll test ride one.

I'll still have to keep my 02 Volusia. Too much love in it and too many mods on it. Somebody here told me a few years ago that no one ever just has 1 motorcycle. That you'll collect them like beer cans. How true.
"I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals"
Lead an extraordinary life.
2002 Volusia...Red/Black...the red bikes are the fastest!
1975 Yamaha XS500

annieh
VOL Original

Postby annieh » February 17th, 2012, 8:41 pm

I absolutely LOVED my Electraglide! Handled like a dream and comfortable as heck to boot! I would get another one in a heartbeat!

ron2k_1
Patched

Postby ron2k_1 » February 19th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Whatever your heart and butt (and the wifey's [with all due respect]) settles for, congrats!

Pics whenever you find serious prospects?

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » February 19th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Just do it. I absolutely love my Electra Glide. Doc's right, all the HD touring bikes are basically the same.

My ONLY complaint is the handlebars aren't quite where I want them to be, but even so I can go all day on the highway on mine. The stock seat is amazing!

My wife's only complaint is I don't always ask her to go with me. It's certainly a valid complaint! :lol:
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Cobra
VOL Original

Postby Cobra » February 20th, 2012, 9:45 am

Coilguy wrote:The Venture is tha kick ass Kawasaki no doubt!

Coilguy

Yea so hurry up and buy one already. I wann ride it.

popcycle
Head Redneck

Postby popcycle » February 20th, 2012, 10:02 am

I am very happy with my 05 Electra Glide. I don't think you or the wife would regret it if you're wanting a bigger, more comfortable bike. It's the only bike I've ever owned that my wife didn't complain about the seat hurting her butt.

Return to “Other Brands”