Apes on the Street Glide

Want to talk about motorcycles that you own that aren't a C50 or a Volusia? Here's the spot for that.
The Volusianator
VOL Original

Re: Apes on the Street Glide

Postby The Volusianator » October 17th, 2011, 1:33 pm

So in the end you like the ride and that's what matters, sometimes a nice PITA job has it's rewards.

Bowtie
VOL Original

Postby Bowtie » October 17th, 2011, 2:38 pm

So how do the mirrors work for you with your hands on the bars over the mirrors. I've really thought about doing this as well, and that is the main reason I've held off.

Looks awesome, by the way. Hope to see it in person soon!
2012 Road Giide cUSTOM
CHROME FREAKING YELLOW

Jimysan
VOL Original

Postby Jimysan » October 17th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Nice job Doc. 8-)
2004 Pearl Blue VTX1800R
The "Blue Beast"

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » October 17th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Bowtie wrote:So how do the mirrors work for you with your hands on the bars over the mirrors. I've really thought about doing this as well, and that is the main reason I've held off.

Mirrors are next to useless now. I have to drop my arm to see them. I always do a head check anyway. I'll probably look into mounting some on the bars and doing something with the holes in the fairing afterward.

Bowtie
VOL Original

Postby Bowtie » October 17th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Doc wrote:
Bowtie wrote:So how do the mirrors work for you with your hands on the bars over the mirrors. I've really thought about doing this as well, and that is the main reason I've held off.

Mirrors are next to useless now. I have to drop my arm to see them. I always do a head check anyway. I'll probably look into mounting some on the bars and doing something with the holes in the fairing afterward.

I was afraid of that! :lol:

Hmmm, still some thinking to do. I like the fairing mirrors better, that's whY I drilled the holes in the fairing. It's always something!
2012 Road Giide cUSTOM
CHROME FREAKING YELLOW

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » October 17th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Bowtie wrote:
Doc wrote:

Hmmm, still some thinking to do. I like the fairing mirrors better, that's whY I drilled the holes in the fairing. It's always something!

I drilled TWO sets of holes getting those fairing mirrors just right. :oops:

Thanks for the update, Doc. The high rise mod sure looks great and I'm sure it increases comfort, too. It's easy to put mirrors back up on the bars. The fairing mirrors can stay put, they'll still be useful when riding one handed or when shaving. :lol:

Sounds like I may have to get the dealer to do the mod, tho.
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

fiv_oh_po_po
Patched

Postby fiv_oh_po_po » October 18th, 2011, 10:21 am

Rob wrote:
Bowtie wrote:
Doc wrote:

I drilled TWO sets of holes getting those fairing mirrors just right. :oops:

Thanks for the update, Doc. The high rise mod sure looks great and I'm sure it increases comfort, too. It's easy to put mirrors back up on the bars. The fairing mirrors can stay put, they'll still be useful when riding one handed or when shaving. :lol:

Sounds like I may have to get the dealer to do the mod, tho.

Don't let him scare you.... It ain't that bad... I did it by myself... I am sure you can...

I put 14"ers on my Road King all by my lonesome... and this is the guy that lives by RIGHTY LOOSEY LEFTY TIGHTY... Well I don't really live by it but i did do it once to Mikes Oil Plug... lol... the threads came out like a slinkey... . hahahaha... That was some funny s***... But it did p*** me off for a while...

I guess the only thing that makes it harder for you guys is the fairing... I have no experience with pulling that fairing off the bike... I hear its a pain in the ass...

Anywho...

Tackle it yourself...

Save the $1500 in labor ALONE....

RON
2005 Suzuki Blvd C50 [2/2005-10/2007]
2008 HD FLHR "POSER" King (Peace Officer Special Edition Road King) [10/2007 ordered, 12/2007 delivered - 4/2014]

Officially Bikeless since 4/2014... :'-(

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » October 18th, 2011, 3:07 pm

$1500 in labor alone is outrageous! If they quote that much I'll definitely tackle it on my own. I'll make sure my Volusia is all tuned up and good to go as a backup ride first! :lol:
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » October 18th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Ron, you did it on a Road King. Pulling the fairing on this thing was a pain. You can't get to the tops of the risers without unmounting both fairing pieces. Also, the FLHX has more control wiring for the radio controls. I had at least 24 wires to run through the bars and was like cramming 10 pounds of s*** in a 5 pound sack. That being said, I wouldn't be afraid to do it again, but I'd make sure I had plenty of time to do it. I learned a few things in the process. For instance, if you pull your bike up onto some 2x6's and let it lean hard on the kickstand, that angle is enough so that when you open the transmission cover, the fluid won't spill out. Also, you don't have to entirely remove your pipe to get to the tranny cover, but it's not much more work to do so, and having the extra space to work in with it off is well worth it. I can also now adjust my clutch while blindfolded and one arm tied behind my back. ;)

Wrench
VOL Original

Postby Wrench » October 18th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Looks good Doc, nice job!

Return to “Other Brands”