Setting your preferences

Doc
Site Admin

Setting your preferences

Postby Doc » April 12th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Since we've had quite a number of new users lately, I figured it might be a good idea to put out a brief "howto" on how to manage your account settings here. If you've never used this version of board software before, it can be kind of confusing navigating your way around it. There are a few features that many people didn't even know about and I'll try and cover the big ones here.

Recently someone noticed that certain words were being censored. In a way, they were correct, however that censoring occurs at the user level, not at the board level. By default, when new accounts are created the bad word filter is automatically turned on. This is not a restricted setting, and each user is able to turn this filtering on or off if they so choose. If you'd rather not see certain words, you don't have to do anything, but if you want to see these words in all their unfiltered glory, you can do this by going to your control panel on the site. The User Control Panel is accessable on any page at the top left side of the screen. You'll find a bunch of settings in there. Under Board Preferences there's an item called "Edit display options". Inside of there you can turn on or off the word censor.

Another feature that some would rather not have is the email notifications whenever someone replies to a thread that they've replied to. By default, any time you reply to a thread, you will get notified when others reply to it. You can control this on each individual thread, or globally. To control it on each thread, when you reply you will see an options list below where you type your message. The option is "Notify me when a reply is posted". You just uncheck that and you will not receive emails when replies are made. To turn it off globally, go to your control panel and under Board Preferences click the "Edit posting defaults". The option there is "Notify me upon replies by default". Please remember that this will not affect any threads where you've already replied with that option turned on.

The last little known feature that I'll cover for now is the chat room. Here you can have conversations real time with other users. It isn't used much, but I hop in there every once in a while. There are a couple of links near the top left of every screen. Clicking on the "Who's in the Chat?" will give you a little pop-up screen with a listing of who is currently in the chat room without having to join it. Clicking "Join The Chat" will open a new screen and put you in the chat room under your board user name.

I'l

Return to “News and Announcements”