GHOST TOWN

Big John
VOL Original

GHOST TOWN

Postby Big John » August 11th, 2013, 8:34 am

Had to brush away the cob webs and cough thru the dust around here...seems the old VOL site is about to crumble away. Guess it was just a fad, but it once was a daily read and the subject of many discussions. Maybe most members moved on, bought bigger and better bikes.....who knows. I do notice a few of the oldtimers chime in about every month or so..I guess just checkin in on old friends. There were some great times and awesome memories made during the Volusia years, and I hope all you newbies will read all the wealth of knowledge left by the original owners of a great machine..The Volusia [CLAP]
No matter what happens here today, the sun will rise tomorrow....

Wonder Warthog
Hang Around

Re: GHOST TOWN

Postby Wonder Warthog » August 11th, 2013, 10:23 am

I really enjoy the wealth of info here.
Guess i'm just a happy goast
[Live large,tomorrow may not like you True Fear is having walked with it dailyb][/b]

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Postby Luvs2Play » August 11th, 2013, 10:27 am

Everyone is out riding, they'll be back when it gets cold.

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » August 11th, 2013, 4:55 pm

I wouldn't call it a ghost town. I usually check in once a day. However, with the job and summer - I'm not a heavy contributor. Also, times are changing and what was once a good idea (bulletin board service) may slowly be changing into something else.

Instant messaging (i.e. Facebook) type sites are the current way for people to get together. I actually saw an ad on Craigslist from someone asking where there was CB radio repairman.

Overall, I think the this site gains a few members a week, I don't know the stat's officially, but the occasional question does get answered. It's a fun place to check out and see what is going on and there is some interesting reading.

I definitely would say it's summer and everybody is riding.

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » August 12th, 2013, 12:10 am

It seems most of the people who were regular posters when I joined don't post anymore. I check once or twice a week just to see if anyone has asked any questions I could possibly help with. Was nice when the site was busier. But there's still a lot of info here, and if you ask a question, you'll usually get an answer.

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » August 14th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Yeah.. this place sucks.. oh wait.. I run it.. LOL

Lots of alternatives out there.. Facebook, etc. We do get a few new folks every week, but I think most are coming here just to mine the knowledge archived in these threads. Too bad they don't get to know some of the people who contributed to all that knowledge. They're missing out on the real wealth.

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » August 14th, 2013, 7:51 pm

You're too funny, Doc - - "this place...." :lol:

Some people don't know how to 'get to know someone' via this type of forum. Here's my thesis - - in the old days of BBS's (http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/161) of ones that I went to visit (Argus in Boston, for example), you had to reach out make make the introductions. There were no wallflowers in those days, mister!

Once you were known on the BBS, depending on popularity, message count, topic count, etc - - you felt comfortable enough to contribute. Of course, there were active people and lurkers. 8-) Some moderators kept the content and people in check and most of the time, things went well. This was a time of post CB (Citizens Band radio) and we were just entering a new age of Prodigy and AOL internet and people had a natural extension of letting people get to know each other. Yet, there was some anonymity for the users.

As the internet grew, personal information got out there for users. People started migrating to MySpace and Facebook because you had to be invited to be my friend. If you didn't have access rights, then you only got a little bit of information from me. Even though not entirely a safe (or secure) situation, people felt safe about their information. Of course, some give willingly and their pages are open books for the world to see. Want to see something scary - just Google Ratboy859 - - if that doesn't give you enough data about me, please don't became a detective!

As the BSSs evolved to instant pages, along came Twitter (and various other sites) that now allows me to exclaim who I am instantly and briefly. I think of Twitter much like a loud burp - hot air and nasty gas.....hmmmmmmmm, maybe even a f*rt. Even cell phones contribute to the mess of making connections to people.

Most recently, I was watching several groups of young people sitting near each other texting, tweeting, and iPadding (is that a verb?) and never making contact with the people right next to them. No social skills in my opinion. However, it's a new age and a new day. As a government employee, what was once formal communication (letters) is no longer. I use email as my correspondence (without a secretary and without using formal bonded letterhead paper!) and that's about as formal as I have gotten in about two or three months. Yes, every now and then I have to write a formal letter - but even the letterhead is in a Word file that prints everything for me (seals, symbols, etc).

I believe that people are connecting, but they are connecting in newer ways. Please notice I did not say in better or worse ways - just new ways.

So, Doc, I contributed - - let's see who else chimes in!

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » August 15th, 2013, 9:35 am

This is still my favorite place to go on the internet. I have been a member of VOL and it's spin off and restart sites for over a decade now. I still have and ride my 2001 Volusia. It has taken on a bit of a new look but the heart is still the 2001 Volusia. the odometer stopped working on my way to a rally in 2007 and I bought the new part to fix it. I just never have fixed it. So I have 29,000 miles on my 2001, still. I have met some of the best people I know on this site. Some folks I have trusted from the VOL have totally let me down as well, so it is kind of just like life.

I don't post alot anymore because I have posted most of the responses in the past. I don't see my fimiliar friends on anymore and the new friends are slow to jump in. I still ride with a VOL patch from Volusiaguy on my vest. He made the best patches ever for the site. The VOL is a great place and I recogonize the Ghost town effect as well. As long as there is still a light on and a place to sit and have a cup of coffee I will go out of my way when I am in the neighborhood to stop in and say hello!

Coilguy
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » August 15th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I haven't checked in a LONG time. Been busy with work and riding. I'm sure it will pick up as the weather turns.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07
'08 FLHTCUSE3 - Sept 07 - Oct 13
'14 Indian Chieftain - Oct 13 - ??

joeke3el
VOL Original

Postby joeke3el » September 30th, 2013, 1:56 pm

I joined the original Volusia Owner's site in March of 2002. Every now and then I check here and over at volusiariders.com (that I used to run) to see who's still around. The passage of time and different model bikes have caused a lot of people to vanish. The early years on this site are something always be fond of.

Joe

Return to “General Discussion”